Quorn Foods is proud to support NHS Sustainability Day 2016
We are bringing back the successful ‘Sustainable Sausage Swap’ and ‘Sustainability Dish of the Day’ and want you to work with us to make a real difference.
What an impact this made in 2015! In just 2 hours we saved the NHS in each of the hospitals that switched to Quorn sausages and Quorn mince in staff/visitor restaurants:
• 25,000 Kcal
• 150kg of CO2
• nearly 10 tonnes of water
• and significantly increased dietary fibre
What is a sustainable diet?
Those diets with low environmental impacts, which contribute to food and nutrition security and to a healthy life for present and future generations. Sustainable diets are protective and respectful of biodiversity and ecosystems. They are culturally acceptable, economically fair and affordable.
What are customers saying?
People are demanding more sustainable food. A recent study suggests that 77%* of consumers care about how their actions impact the environment – up from 69% in 2012. In addition, 74%* say they want more transparency on menus, compared to 65% in 2012. This is due in part to the horsemeat scandal and the food security issues it raised.
What are the impacts of a sustainable diet?
- Nutritional – A sustainable diet helps overcome health issues by encouraging consumers to eat more healthily. This will have a positive effect on public health and reduce demands on the NHS.
- Political – A sustainable diet encourages suppliers to look for new technologies in order to create more sustainable supply chains.
- Environmental – A sustainable diet consists of foods that have a low carbon footprint, reducing its contribution to climate change and its impact on harvests and water supply.
- Economic – Sustainable diets maintain affordable food for all.
Quorn products are a sustainable solution
- Quorn Foods has been a pioneer in the search for sustainable food for decades. The Quorn ingredient is a sustainable source of healthy protein, producing a lower carbon footprint than its meat equivalents.
- The Quorn ingredient and products are made exclusively in Britain – Stokesley to be precise; a delightful market town and farming area in North Yorkshire – meaning less food miles.
- Quorn is the first global, meat-free brand to achieve third party certification of its product carbon footprint research from the Carbon Trust.
- Quorn products provide a source of healthy high-quality protein that’s versatile, convenient and lower in saturated fat, allowing consumers to eat their favourite meals in a healthier form.
- Quorn ingredient production results in less greenhouse gas emissions and uses less land and water than its meat equivalents.
- Quorn Foods creates sustainable supply chains in which all partners share common values.
A healthier consumer – the opportunity
Reports suggest that 73% of the UK population is actively trying to be healthier – though 57% complain that there aren’t enough healthy options available when eating out*. In addition, the Live Well for LIFE organisation noted that 81% of consumers describe health as the most important consideration when it comes to food choices.
What can operators do?
Over 80 million meat free meals are made in the home each year. And with home-cooking habits impacting on consumer choices when eating out, this represents a significant opportunity for foodservice operators. What’s more, 29% of the adult population was classified as obese in 2012 – up from 22% in 2000. Experts warn that over 40%could be obese in ten years time. In this context, operators have a responsibility to contribute to improving their customers health. Operators can:
- Reformulate menus using healthier ingredients and cooking methods
- Review portion size
- Educate and inform customers with easily understood information on menus and point-of-sale material.
- Promote healthier options
- Avoid unnecessary food waste.
A Food for Life Catering Mark supplier
As part of our commitment to helping you create delicious meals that are healthy and sustainable, we have joined the Food for Life Catering Mark Supplier Scheme.
Our range of Quorn products meets specific requirements for the Catering Mark Bronze standard and can also help you upgrade to Silver and Gold under the Making Health Eating Easier section. Discover how we can help you achieve and maintain the Catering Marks.
For a full report on supporting a sustainable diet, click here to download a pdf of ‘Tomorrow’s Food Today’.
* Allegra Strategies, Eating Out in the UK, July 2013.